London 2012 Olympics Stimulate European Travel Plans
LowFares.comTM, the travel comparison search site for cheap flights, hotels, rental cars, cruises and vacation packages, released results today from an online survey of its U.S.-based email subscribers that indicates a 44% increase in the number of people planning to take a summer leisure trip this year versus last year. While only 64% of respondents took a leisure trip last year, 92% are planning a leisure trip this summer.
“Our survey points to an economic rebound for the travel industry this summer”
The survey results uncovered the following information about summer leisure trip plans:
- Of those planning summer trips, 48% will most likely be choosing U.S. destinations, with Florida, New York City, and Las Vegas as the top 3 choices.
- International destinations will most likely be the choice of 44% of summer trip planners, with the Caribbean, England, and Australia as the top 3 choices.
- The remaining 8% of respondents planning a summer trip will be choosing destinations close to their home.
- 74% of summer trip planners expect to spend the same or less than they did in 2011. The remaining 26% expect to spend more.
- Travel websites offering user reviews and articles significantly outpaced Facebook as the preferred source of vacation destination ideas, receiving 62% of the vote from summer trip planners.
- Facebook was the preferred source for 31% of respondents expecting to use online social media to help them select a destination.
“Our survey points to an economic rebound for the travel industry this summer,” said Raj Beri, General Manager of Oversee.net’s Travel Vertical. “We were very excited to see a large increase in the number of people planning a summer leisure trip this year. Another interesting finding was the strong preference that consumers had for using travel review websites instead of Facebook for ideas on destinations which is in line where we see the industry heading – towards more of a focus on user reviews complemented by smart travel search tools.”
LowFares.com also asked its email subscribers in this survey about the 2012 Summer Olympics. The results indicate that 12% of summer trip planners are expecting to travel to London for the 2012 Summer Olympics. This would be the first trip to England for 64% of these travelers. In addition, 71% of the Summer Olympic travelers will most likely be extending their trip to visit other European countries, with France and Italy as the top destinations.
About Oversee.net’s Travel Vertical
Oversee’s Travel Vertical consists of consumer price comparison and destination information websites that include LowFares.com, FareSpotter.net, AboutAirportParking.com and AirportParking.com. With more than 4.2 million unique visitors per month, these properties allow consumers to make informed travel purchase decisions while at the same time funneling high quality, pre-qualified consumer leads to brand name advertising partners.
Oversee.net® is a leader in online performance marketing. Using proprietary technology, it helps advertisers acquire valuable, pre-qualified leads. Its DomainSponsor® business unit pioneered the monetization of direct navigation traffic in 2002 and now operates one of the largest PPC and CPV traffic networks in the world with over 250 million unique visitors per month. Oversee’s owned and operated lead generation websites in the travel, retail, and consumer finance verticals produce over 14 million high-converting leads per month for advertisers by providing users with the information they need to make smart purchase decisions. Oversee also owns DOMAINfest®, a conference series for domain investors and online marketing professionals. Headquartered in Los Angeles, Oversee has offices in New York City and Frankfurt, Germany.